Thursday, April 29, 2010

That time of year...(sigh)

Yes, it's nearly May. My favourite month in the garden, on my bike and outside with my kids. Saying goodbye to students makes me blue but thankfully, everything else going on this time of year lifts me up (inaugural Jane's Walk on Saturday woohoo!).

This is the time of year I also think about changes for next year's batch of students ("batch" - I like that reference - like a batch of cookies). Each year in class I move further and further away from delivering traditional content (which they can easily access online) and toward giving students new ways to engage with material, deepen their critical thinking and learn about themselves. Some courses are easier to do this with than others.

The biggest learning happens outside the classroom when students take on independent projects. I am looking for new ways to facilitate this. I am looking to my readers.

I am open to your ideas....

4 comments:

  1. Hi Kath. Here's a blog with some cool ideas on learning, mostly elearning, but some still gets you thinking. Eric is a friend and an elearning expert at RMC, but also teaches at SLC. http://erictremblay.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well Kathy, your latest garden has fully bloomed and you have made us to grow to that beautiful point. I'm sure that younger years will have as much if not more fun than we had with you. The good thing about gardens is that there are always those random perennials that come back to visit and show you how successful we have become :)
    Thanks again for making 3 years of school the most memorable it could be!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, outside the classroom eh. What if perhaps each student could choose a local business in Kingston and develop a full IMC campaign on their own time (I know this was mandatory in 3rd year with the Sand's brothers or Gananaque), but I think it would drive students to fulfill their own capabilities. In fact, maybe this could be a new category for the Greg awards;however, it would be fully up to each student to decide if they want to do this or not. As you said in our Leadership class, "people typically enjoy working, nobody enjoys sitting around and doing nothing".
    Remember, if people/(students) are appreciated and see results from the work they do, there's a self fulfillment gratitude that encourages us to move forward, and in all, do better.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that idea, Eli. Also, nearly everyone has a part time job while they're in school, and it never hurts to stand out and do something a little extra. An assignment might be for each student to use what they've learned in the "real world", (retail, coaching, not-for-profit, sales, etc.), take the time to speak with their supervisor and do something for the business, using their IMC skills. Plan a fundraiser, produce a print campaign, whatever. They're already working out there, might as well take advantage of opportunities!

    ReplyDelete