Friday, October 16, 2009

netWORK IT!

I'm having a lot of fun teaching a Career, Placement and Portfolio class. I've hypothesized that students don't need a lot of the traditional job search tools (resume, cover letter, etc....) IF, (and yes, this is a big IF) they really, really, REALLY work their networks. I've given them some time-intensive tasks around building their networks, mining them, maintaining them. And the results are impressive. For those who have really embraced the exercises and put the time in, there have been some fantastic surprises; students who had no clue about the business connections in their own seemingly small circles. But most of us aren't trained to ask.

So I'm asking you...have you ever landed a job based solely on your network? I, personally, have never used a traditional resume. It's always been referrals and word-of-mouth.

Is this the exception or the rule??

Love to hear from you on this one....

1 comment:

  1. My job at KEDCO was completely from my network - not my resume.

    ReplyDelete