Sunday, February 15, 2009

"The Happiness Project"

How often do you hear something that moves you to tears? (Other than a Hallmark commercial, I mean). I listen to a lot of new music. I like to fancy myself a "discoverer" and use a few sources to find new stuff. (CFRC, Jian on CBC, ITunes freebies, etc.). Today I heard something that was so original, and so moving, that I felt compelled to share it.

Charles Spearin (of Broken Social Scene fame and other cool mash-ups) started a sound project where he interviewed his neighbours about the meaning of happiness. Now for the cool part, he invited his musician friends to find instruments that matched the tone of the individuals' voices and set their speaking to melody. It is incredible. If you check out his website, you will hear Mrs. Morris, and I've also included a link to the performance on YouTube. Another cool clip on CBC was a child repeating "Like um, um like" which they set to a very bluesy speakeasy-type poet beat.

I'll be buying this for sure. Check it out:

http://www.happiness-project.ca/index.php?method=add

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nP0bx4ZI6Y

"HAPPINESS IS LOVE"

No comments:

Post a Comment